Dr. English joined the department in 2003 when it was called the Department of Religion and Philosophy. He was named Chair in 2015. He teaches courses in the fields of Theology, Philosophy, and Ethics. He serves as Ethics Bowl Team Co-Coach and Chair of the Faculty Development and Research Committee. Dr. English led Study Abroad tours to Italy in 2008, 2011, 2012 and 2013. He has also served as interim pastor in several eastern North Carolina churches.
Dr. English has contributed to a variety of journals and periodicals. He is author of Christmas: Theological Anticipations, Cascade (2016); The Saint Who Would be Santa Claus: The True Life and Trials of St. Nicholas of Myra, Baylor University Press (2012); Theology Remixed: Christianity as Story, Game, Language, Culture, Intervarsity Press (2010); The Possibility of Christian Philosophy: Maurice Blondel at the Intersection of Philosophy and Theology, Routledge (2007); and co-author of Pocket History of Theology, Intervarsity Press (2005). Dr. English’s research interests include constructive theology and the history of theological ideas.
- PhD, Baylor University
- MA, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
- BA, Hardin-Simmons University
- Tenured, Full Professor, Campbell University (2003 – present)
- Chair of the Department since 2015
- Teach upper-level systematic and historical theology, philosophy,Christian ethics, and Introduction to Christianity
- Advise approximately fifteen undergraduate religion majors
- Coach the Ethics Bowl team and advise Theta Alpha Kappa
- Lead Study Abroad tours to Italy (2008, 2011, 2012, 2013)
- Serve on multiple university committees, including the Honors Interdisciplinary Program, Retention Committee, and Faculty Development and Research Committee
- Serve as interim pastor at Rowan Baptist Church, Clinton, NC (2015 – present)
- Served as interim pastor at Westfield Baptist Church, Dunn, NC (2012-2014)
- Served as interim pastor at Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, Willow Springs, NC (2006-2008)
- Adjunct Instructor, Baylor University (2002-2003)
- Youth and Children's Minister, Garden Acres Baptist Church (1996-1999)
- Initiated and serve as co-editor for NABPR-endowed academic series with MercerUniversity Press, “Perspectives on Baptist Identity,” 2015
- Initiated the Zondervan Academic and Campbell University Award for Excellence inTheological Studies 2013
- Coach undergraduate debate team that competes every fall at the Mid-Atlantic RegionalEthics Bowl and every spring at NCICU Ethics Bowl
- Held offices in NABPR at Large, including Program Coordinator, Vice President, and President, 2007-10
- Paid consultant for Catholic University of America Press, the Internet Encyclopedia ofPhilosophy, and InterVarsity Press
- Presided over Theology and Philosophy of Religion meetings at SECSOR, 2008 and 2009
- Started a local chapter of Theta Alpha Kappa, the National Honor Society for ReligiousStudies, on behalf of our undergraduate students. I have served as the moderator and advisor for this student honor society since spring 2007.
- Invited Attendee at Shaw University Workshop on Teaching Political Engagement, 2006
Awards, Recognition & Honors
- Faculty Summer Research Grant Recipient, 2014
- Full Professorship: granted by the trustees of Campbell University, 2013
- Spirit of St. Nicholas Award, St. Nicholas Institute, Livonia, MI, 2013
- Dean’s Award for Excellence in Research, College of Arts and Sciences, 2013
- Faculty Summer Research Grant Recipient, 2013
- Tenure: granted by the trustees of Campbell University, 2011
- Faculty Summer Research Grant Recipient, 2011
- Dean’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, Campbell Divinity School, 2010
- Faculty Summer Research Grant Recipient, 2010
- Faculty Summer Research Grant Recipient, 2009
- Inducted into the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, April 2008
- Selected to attend Young Scholars in the Baptist Academy, Regents Park, Oxford University, U.K., August 3-7, 2005
- Selected to attend Young Scholars in the Baptist Academy week-long seminar, Georgetown, KY, June 9-13, 2004
- Scholar in residence at the Hong and Hong Kierkegaard Library, St. Olaf College, Minnesota, 2000
- Theta Alpha Kappa, campus moderator, 2007-present
- National Association of Baptist Professors, 2001-present
- American Academy of Religion, 1995-2010, 2014-present
- College Theology Society, 2011-present
- Pastor Search Committee member, Memorial Baptist Church (2014-15); Deacon, Memorial Baptist Church (2010-2014); Board member, Buies Creek Recreation League (2009-2011); I preach regularly in local churches; Served as faculty advisor for student-led Uncovered Bible Study, 2004-2008
- Christmas: Theological Anticipations (Cascade, forthcoming)
- The Saint Who Would be Santa Claus: The True Life and Trials of St. Nicholas of Myra(Waco: Baylor University Press, 2012)
- Theology Remixed: Christianity as Story, Game, Language, Culture (Downers Grove:InterVarsity Press, 2010)
- The Possibility of Christian Philosophy: Maurice Blondel at the Intersection ofPhilosophy and Theology, Routledge Radical Orthodoxy Series (New York:Routledge Press, 2007)
- Pocket History of Theology, by Roger Olson and Adam English (Downers Grove:InterVarsity Press, 2005)
- Articles and Essays
- “Church Without Prisoners: On the Twentieth Anniversary of A Peculiar People” Review& Expositor 112.3 (2015), 418-431.
- “Alexander of Alexandria, Arius, and Theological Method,” Phronema 30.1 (2015), 1-22.
- “Exemplification of Faith through Learning” Baptist Educator: News Journal of theInternational Association of Baptist Colleges 77.2 (2013), 4.“Christians and Guns,” Associated Baptist Press (April 26, 2013)
- “The Saint Who Would be Santa,” Chronicle of Higher Education (Dec 14, 2012), B10-B11.
- “My Take: The Christmas Message of St. Nicholas,” CNN Belief Blog (Dec 22, 2012)
- “The Cyrilian Solution: Cyril of Jerusalem and Saul Kripke on Naming God,” NewBlackfriars (July 9, 2012); Appeared in print: New Blackfriars 94.1053 (Sept 2013), 569-582.
- “Pastors: Give Students Ultimate Gift: Your Attention,” Biblical Recorder 178.11 (May26, 2012), 11.
- “Dolls, Divers and the Existence of God,” Immerse: A Journal of Faith, Life and YouthMinistry 2.6 (March/April 2012), 34-38.
- “Theology,” three chapters in Christianity: A Biblical, Historical, and Theological Guidefor Students, Mercer University Press, 2010.
- “The ‘Dark Knight’ of Free Will,” posted as an opinion on the Associated Baptistwebsite, August 5, 2008
- “’Science Cannot Stop With Science’: Maurice Blondel and the Sciences,” Journal ofthe History of Ideas 69.2 (April 2008), 269-292.
- “The New Academic Freedom and the Changing Face of Baptist Higher Education,”The Scholarly Vocation and the Baptist Academy: Essays on Scholarly Life in theBaptist Academy, edited by Roger Ward and David Gushee (Macon: MercerPress, 2008).
- “Advent prepares Christians to shatter porcelain icons,” Biblical Recorder (Nov 10,2007), 10.
- “You can incorporate Advent traditions at home,” Biblical Recorder (Nov 10, 2007), 10.