Amber McLendon serves as the Geriatrics Clinical Pharmacy Specialist at Glenaire, Inc., a CCRC in Cary, NC. While at UNC, Amber explored her interest in geriatrics and healthcare collaboration by completing the Interdisciplinary Certificate in Aging. As a recipient of the Albert Schweitzer Fellowship in 2003, she conducted home visits with the Orange County Department on Aging to enroll community dwelling seniors in prescription assistance programs. Following her graduation from UNC, she completed an ASHP-accredited residency in geriatrics with the University of Texas and the South Texas Veterans Healthcare System in San Antonio. She then worked as a consultant pharmacist for SeniorMed in Dallas, Texas, focusing primarily on assisted living residents.
In 2007, she returned to North Carolina joining the Campbell University faculty and currently precepts student pharmacists in their required geriatrics rotation and coordinates the Geriatric Pharmacotherapy II Elective. She is the creator of a mentorship program, DeeM, for students interested in pursuing residency, and currently serves as associate director of the Ambulatory Care residency at Cary Healthcare Associates. At Glenaire, she works with the healthcare team at all levels of care (independent living, assisted living and skilled nursing) to provide clinical pharmacy services.
Her research interests include geriatrics, osteoporosis, falls and residency preparation.
- PharmD, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- BS Chemistry, Duke University
- Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist (2006-present)
- Assistant Professor, 2007-2015
Awards, Recognition & Honors
- NCAP/Pharmacy Mutual Distinguished Young Pharmacist (2013)
- Faculty Preceptor of the Year, Eastern Region (2012)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy, Past Chair of Geriatrics PRN
- North Carolina Association of Pharmacists
- American Society of Consultant Pharmacists
- McLendon A, Clinard V, Woodis CB. “Ospemifene for the Treatment of Vulvovaginal Atrophy and Dyspareunia in Postmenopausal Women” Pharmacotherapy 2014 34: 1050-1060.
- McLendon A, Woodis CB. “A Review of Osteoporosis Management in Younger, Premenopausal Women” Women’s Health 2014;10:59-77.
- Volger E, Fuller S, McLendon A, Herring C. “Prevalence of Self-reported Non-medical Use of Prescription Stimulants in North Carolina Doctor of Pharmacy Students” Journal of Pharmacy Practice published online 5 December 2013. DOI: 10.1177/089719001350813
- McLendon A, Spivey J, Woodis CB. “African Mango (Irvingia gabonensis) Extract for Weight Loss: A Systematic Review” Journal of Nutritional Therapeutics 2013;2:52-58.
- Woodis CB, McLendon A, Muzyk A “Testosterone Use in Women with Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder” Pharmacotherapy 2012;32:38-53.