Associate Professor of Pharmacy for Campbell University, April 2001 – present
Didactic Teaching: Hypertension, Drug Induced Cardiac Disease, Medical Literature Evaluation.
P4 Rotation: Adult Ambulatory Care
Adult Medicine Clinical Pharmacist Practitioner for the Downtown Health Plaza of Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem, NC,
April 2001 – present
Research interests include hypertension, diabetes, and medication induced cardiovascular disease.
- Pharmacy Practice Residency, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, 1994-1995
- Doctor of Pharmacy, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 1994
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 1992
- Clinical Pharmacist Practitioner, May 2004 - present
- Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist, December 2000 - present
- I am very thankful that God has worked through us to do the following since coming to Campbell in 2001:
- Creating, coordinating, and revising the PharmD program’s medical literature course since 2001.
- Authoring a medical literature evaluation primer for health care professionals called Quick Stats which is in its 5th edition.
- Expanding patients seen at the Downtown Health Plaza of WFUBMC from only Asthma/COPD, and Anticoagulation, to also include patients with diabetes, hypertension, heart failure, dyslipidemia, pain, anxiety, depression, and polypharmacy issues.
- With the leadership of Andrew Muzyk and support of administration, expanding active learning in the classroom which has improved students’ participation and learning.
Awards, Recognition & Honors
- 6/17/17 - SPRINT grant/trial – Wake Forest School of Medicine Team Science Award.
- 5/8/05 – Faculty Marshall for Class of 2005 Hooding Ceremony
- 5/8/05 - Western Region Clinical Pharmacy Preceptor of the Year
- 12/17/04 - Received a special recognition award from the Downtown Health Plaza for “contributions to the overall mission and demonstration of caring for the patients, staff and facility.”
- 5/9/04 – Western Region Clinical Pharmacy Preceptor of the Year
- Spring 1994 – Rho Chi
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP)
- North Carolina Association of Pharmacists (NCAP)
- Christ Church, Winston-Salem, NC
- Refugee Resettlement Team from 2016 to present.
- Food Pantry Team from 2014 to present.
- Prayer Team from 2015 to present.
- Grant: SPRINT Trial Coinvestigator at the Downtown Health Plaza of Wake Forest Baptist University Medical Center
- Campos CL, Herring CT, Ali AN, Jones DN, Wofford JL, Caine AL, Bloomfield RL, Tillett J, Oles KS. Pharmacologic Treatment of Hypertensive Urgency in the Outpatient Setting: A Systematic Review. J Gen Intern Med. 2018 Jan 16. doi: 10.1007/s11606-017-4277-6
- Co-author with Adam P. Bress, et.al., SPRINT Research Group. Effect of Intensive vs Standard Blood Pressure Treatment According to Baseline Prediabetes Status: A Post Hoc Analysis of A Randomized Trial. August 9, 2017
- Shargel L, Wu-Pong S, Yu A. Applied Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics, 7th edition. Co-authored the Biostatistics chapter (chapter 3) with Antoine Al-Achi, PhD. McGraw-Hill Professional Publishing. September 2015.
- Herring C. Quick Stats, 5th edition: Basics for Medical Literature Evaluation. XanEdu. December 2014.
- DiPiro J, et al. Pharmacotherapy A Pathophysiologic Approach 9th edition. Authored study cases and questions for chapters 14, 15, 19, and 21. McGraw-Hill Professional Publishing. February 2014.
- Shargel L, Mutnick AH, Swanson LN, Souney PF. Comprehensive Pharmacy Review, 8th edition. Authored the Biostatistics chapter (chapter 15). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. October 2012.
- Herring C. Chapter 21, Biostatistics. Comprehensive Pharmacy Review, 8th edition. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. 2011.
- Herring C, Muzyk A, Johnston C. Interferences with urine drug screens. Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2011 Feb;24(1):102-8.
- Herring C, Muzyk A, Jamerson B. Treatment of comorbid depression in medical illnesses. Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2010 Jun;23(3):274-6.
- Herring C, Muzyk A, Jamerson B, Pedley CF, Smith E, Price D, Jones Y. Use of antidepressants for the treatment of psychiatric illnesses. Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2010 Aug;23(4):374-5.
- Bloomfield R, Herring C, Stuart P, Vaden K, Smith T, Hall-Spain M, Varner J, Rushing J, Weathers A. Glucosamine Sulfate/Chondroitin Sulfate; a Joint Effort; a Combination Worth Consideration. Advance for Physician Assistants. September 2008;16(9):44.
- Stuart P, Bloomfield R, Herring C, Sitaras VT, David RC. Clinical case report: zinc supplementation. Advance for Physician Assistants 2008; 16(4):30
- Brown J, Barnes C, Beasley VE, Cisneros R, Pound M, Herring C. Effect of pharmacists on medication errors in an emergency department. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2008;65:330-3.
- Jamerson B, Herring C. Community Pharmacy Based Clinical Research: A Primer on Principles and Practices. America's Pharmacist. November 2007.
- Herring, C, Maryansky K, Trivette K, Hemberg N. Decongestant Use in Hypertension. US Pharmacist. 2006;31(7):80-88.