Dr. Heidi Shearin has served as a founding member of the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program at Campbell University since January 2013. She is the Director of Clinical Education and an Assistant Professor. Her teaching focus is in legal and ethical practice, cultural competence, psychosocial aspects of healthcare, effective communication, and professional behavior development. She is responsible for the management of all clinical education experiences throughout the curriculum.
Prior to joining Campbell, she served as adjunct faculty in a transitional DPT program and as the Program Chair and Academic Clinical Coordinator of Education of a Physical Therapist Assistant Program.
Dr. Shearin is an active member of the Carolina Clinical Education Consortium, serving in multiple leadership roles including current DPT Program Representative and past President. She is committed to improving the clinical education experience for both the clinical instructor and student. Her career includes roles as a clinical instructor, site coordinator of clinical education, and now as the DCE, allowing her an understanding of the common challenges in the student- CI relationship. She is currently providing continuing education presentations to clinical partners to enhance effective communication, diffuse conflict, and implement teaching strategies for high and low performing students.
- Doctorate of Physical Therapy, A.T.S.U., Mesa, Arizona, 2008
- Bachelor of Science, Physical Therapy, UNC- CH, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 1986
- Advanced CI Credentialing Instructor
- Examination of teaching outcomes in the clinical setting
- Effective collaboration between PTs and PTAs in rural health-care settings
- Clinical access, performance, and use of telehealth in rural health-care settings
- Program Director, FTCC PTA Program, Fayetteville NC August 2009- December 2012
- Adjunct Professor, ATSU DPT Program, Mesa Arizona
- American Physical Therapy Association Member, 1986- Present
- NC Physical Therapy Association Member, 1986- Present
- American Physical Therapy Association Education Section Member, 2009-Present
- Carolina Clinical Education Consortium DPT Program Representative, 2018-Present
- Carolina Clinical Educator Consortium Board President, 2016-2018
- Carolina Clinical Educator Consortium Board Member, 2009-Present
- Southern NC Allied Health Regional Skills Partnership, 2009-2012
- North Carolina Physical Therapy Association: District Secretary, 1990-1992
- Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy: Angoff Exercise, 1992
- Noonan, C. D., Powell, D. W., Taylor, M. L., Shearin, H. L. Comparison of Clinical Instructor and Student Perceptions of Clinical Performance in the First Internship of a Doctor of Physical Therapy Program. CSM, Anaheim, California. February 2016.
- Murray, N.G., Williams, D.S. 3rd, Reed-Jones, R.J., Windsor, B.A., Dedrick, G.D., Shearin, H., Sawyer, S., Powell, D.W. Comparison of linear and nonlinear measures of postural stability. 61st Annual Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine, Orla