Jim McLaughlin is a well known legal expert and teacher in property law and wills and trusts law. In his role as chair of the Trusts Drafting committee of the General Statutes Commission of North Carolina, he is heavily involved in the drafting of legislation in the field of estate planning. He is a co-author of the leading treatises on North Carolina Property law and the North Carolina law of wills, trusts and administration of estates. He has served as an expert witness in numerous cases in both areas of his expertise.
McLaughlin has made numerous Continuing Legal Education presentations to attorneys as well as surveyors, on both national and local levels. His teaching experience includes time served at both Pepperdine and Campbell Universities. While serving on the faculty at Pepperdine University School of Law McLaughlin was voted the school’s Teacher of the Year by the law school student body.
McLaughlin and his colleague Pat Hetrick have recently completed a revision of the leading treatise on real property law in North Carolina. He has begun a revision, with his colleague Richard Bowser, of their treatise on North Carolina Wills, Trusts, and Administration of Estates.
- JD, Mercer University, 1973
- BS (Education), Georgia Southern College, 1968
- Associate, Hall & Block, Macon, GA, 1973-75
- Partner, Moore, McLaughlin, Carey and Hawkins, Macon, GA, 1975-81
- Visiting Associate Professor of Law, Pepperdine University School of Law, 1981-82
- Associate Professor of Law, Pepperdine University School of Law, 1982-84
- Visiting Associate Professor, Campbell University School of Law, 1984-85
- Associate Professor, Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law, Campbell University, 1985-88
- Associate Dean, Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law, Campbell University, 1988-99
- Acting Dean, Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law, Campbell University, 1999-2000
- Member, Trusts Drafting Committee since 1984. Chairman, since 1997
- Member (1973-Present), Georgia State Bar
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association