Mali Ram Gupta, PhD, is an Associate Professor Pharmaceutical Sciences and Director of the Pharmaceutical Education & Research Center (PERC), Buies Creek, NC.
As an associate professor, Dr. Gupta teaches Industrial Pharmacy, Advanced Topics in Industrial Pharmacy laboratories, New Drug Development & Pharmaceutical Regulations, Product & Process Validations, Practical Compounding, P-4 Elective Rotation: Manufacturing, Analytical, CGMP, Compounding, Teaching Rotation, and Good Regulatory Practices at BS, MS, and PharmD levels.
Dr. Gupta’s research focus is on the development of novel dosage forms (e.g.; encapsulation of nano drugs, controlled release tablets, ODTs, tablets with enhanced dissolution, floating and controlled release capsules, buccal tablets, orally dissolving film strips, teeth whitening strips, transdermal patches, and transungual drug delivery), generic drugs (emulsions, oral liquids, tables, nasal sprays, liniments, ophthalmic solution, etc.), and applied pharmaceutical research (various techniques to produce nano drug particles, taste masking nano precipitation techniques, dissolution profiles from various encapsulated materials, etc.).
Dr. Gupta is a co-author of a pharmaceutical sciences textbook. Al-Achi A, Gupta MR, Stagner WC. (2013) Integrated Pharmaceutics: Applied Preformulation, Product Design, and Regulatory Science. Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2013.
As a director of the Pharmaceutical Education & Research Center (PERC), Dr. Gupta is responsible for managing all facets of this center. In addition to being an extension of the Department’s education and research mission, the Center offers a wide variety of services to bio-pharma industry, compounding pharmacies, government agencies, and other universities, in the areas of analytical research, pharmaceutical analysis, product development, small-scale manufacturing of pre-clinical products, and Hands-On-Training (workshops).
Dr. Gupta’s previous experience includes over thirty years of management responsibilities in the areas of quality, GMP compliance, and manufacturing operations of small to large cosmetic, medical device, and pharmaceutical companies.
He earned his PhD (1973) and MS (1971) in Industrial Pharmacy from Massachusetts College of Pharmacy, Boston, MA and BS in Pharmacy (1969) from Gujarat University, India.
- PhD, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy, Boston, MA
- MS, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy, Boston, MA
- BS Pharmacy, Gujarat University, India
- Certification: Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Certification (FPGEC)
- Associate Professor (2005 – present) Campbell University College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences, Buies Creek, North Carolina
- Director, Campbell University Pharmaceutical Education & Research Center, PERC (2012 – present)
- Associate Director of QA/QC, Campbell University Pharmaceutical Sciences Institute (CUPSI), Buies Creek, North Carolina (August 2005 – 2011).
- Director Quality, Revlon Consumer Products, Oxford, North Carolina (1996 – 2005), Director Quality Assurance, Jacksonville, Florida (1993 – 1995), Director Product Quality, Phoenix, Arizona (1981 – 1993), Revlon Consumer Products
- Production Planning and Inventory Control Manager, Phoenix, Arizona (1979 – 1981), Director Quality Control, Burlington, Massachusetts (1977 – 1979), Syntex Ophthalmics (Division of Syntex Pharmaceuticals)
- Operations Director, Damon Corporation/Lyne Laboratories, Woburn, MA (1974-1977)
- Massachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health Science [MCPHS University], Boston, MA
- Adjunct Assistant Professor (Sept 1975 – June 1979)
- Instructor in Industrial Pharmacy (Summer 1973)
- Research Assistant in Industrial Pharmacy (June 1971 – May 1973)
- Teaching Assistant in Pharmaceutics (September 1969 – May 1973)
- Rho Chi
- Phi Delta Chi
- Drug Information Association (DIA)
- American Pharmaceutical Association (AAPS)
- Haware, R.V., Dave, V.S., Kakarala, B., Delaney, S., Staton, S., Munsonc, E., Gupta, M.R., and Stagner, W.C. (2016) ‘Vegetable-derived magnesium stearate functionality evaluation by DM3 approach,’ European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, DOI:10.10
- Haware, R. V., Kancharla, J. P.,. Udupa, A.K, Staton, S., Gupta, M.R., Al-Achi, A., Stagner, W. C (2015) ‘Effect of Relative Humidity on the Physico-Mechanical Properties of Coprocessed Excipients MicroceLac® 100 by DM3 Approach,’ Pharm. Res. Accepted
- Uppaluri, S. G., Bompelliwar, S. K., Johnson, P. R., Gupta, M.R., Stagner W. C, Haware, R. V. (2014) ‘Evaluation of The Moisture Prediction Capability of Near Infrared and Attenuated Total Reflectance Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy Using Super
- Haware, R. V., Shivagari, R., Johnson, P., Staton, S, Stagner, W. C, Gupta, M. R. (2014) ‘Application of multivariate methods to evaluate functionality of bovine-and vegetable-derived magnesium stearate,’ J. Pharm. Sci., 103, 1466-1477.
- Mendes, R.W, Gupta, M.R. (1974) ‘Nu-Tab as a Chewable Direct Compression Carrier,’ Drug and Cosmetic Industry, 115, #6, 42
- Co-authored a pharmaceutical sciences textbook. Al-Achi A, Gupta MR, Stagner WC. (2013) Integrated Pharmaceutics: Applied Preformulation, Product Design, and Regulatory Science. Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2013.