Oleg Alekseev received his MD from Kiev Medical University (Ukraine). He completed his PhD in human anatomy from the same university. Dr. Alekseev has over 25 years of clinical, research and anatomy teaching experience. He has taught in Kiev Medical University (Ukraine), Moscow People’s Friendship University (Russia), Uzhgorod State University (Ukraine), Hokkaido University (Japan), University of Iowa.
In 2000 Dr. Alekseev joined the Department of Cell Biology and Physiology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill as a research faculty where he combined research in human reproduction and cancer biology with teaching gross anatomy for medical students. His research interest is focused on the design of new diagnostic and prognostic tests for prostate cancer. Dr. Alekseev is a member of the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center. His research has been supported by grant from the US Department of Defense. He is an author of more than 30 peer-reviewed publications. He serves as a reviewer for number of research journals. Dr. Alekseev joined the Campbell University School of Medicine family as an associate professor of anatomy and looks forward developing the progressive medical education. He believes anatomy teaching should spread throughout the whole medical curriculum up through the level of postgraduate residencies, and he is proud to continue his cancer research with the assistance of Campbell’s medical students.
- MD, Kiev Medical UniversityPhD, Human Anatomy, Kiev Medical University
- Dr. Alekseev has over 26 years of experience teaching in higher education.
- He has taught in the Ukraine and Japan, but has spent the past 13 years in North Carolina.
- His specialties include anatomy and cell and developmental biology.
- Research Interest - Prostate cancer diagnostics
- Research Interest - Human reproductive system anatomy and physiology, clinical correlations
- Research Interest - Clinical human anatomy
- More than 30 years in teaching anatomy and physiology for medical students
- Course director for Human anatomy for PA and DPT programs
- Course director for Reproductive medicine for DO program
Awards, Recognition & Honors
- Excellence in Teaching Award from Durham Technical Community College, 2012
- Training award for junior faculty from the United States Information Agency, 1998
- Fellowship from the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, 1996
- TACIS (Technical Assistance to the Commonwealth of Independent States) scholarship for training in Great Britain, 1995
- Soros Foundation scholarship for Salzburg seminars in Austria, 1995
- Excellence in Teaching Award from the President of Uzhgorod State University, 1992
- Young Investigator Award, Ukrainian Association of Anatomists, 1987
- Ukrainian Association of Anatomists (1984-2000)
- American Society for Cell Biology (2001)
- American Association of Clinical Anatomist - AACA (2013-present)
- International Association of Medical Science Educators - IAMSE (2013-present)
- Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, Chapel Hill, NC (2012 - present)
- European Society for Clinical Oncology (2015 - present)
- Bobrik I.I., Alekseev O.M. Electron-histochemical study of acetylcholinesterase activity in the endotheliocytes of human tongue microvessels in the prenatal period of morphogenesis. Vrach Delo, Vol. 6, 88-90 (1987).
- Bobrik I.I., Alekseev O.M. Prenatal development of the human lingual glands. Vrach Delo, Vol. 9, 89-91 (1988).
- Bobrik I.I., Alekseev O.M. Development of the microcirculatory bed of the human tongue in the prenatal period. Arkh Anat Histol Embriol. Vol. 94, N1, 63-67 (1988).
- Alekseev O.M. The development of the human lingual tonsil in the prenatal period. Stomatologiia. Vol.5, 16-19 (1990).
- Alekseev O. Hemomicrocirculatory bed of the rat epididymis. Morphology, 12, 102-105 (1990).
- Alekseev O.M. Embryogenesis of the human tongue. Arkh Anat Histol Embriol. Vol.100, N6, 87-90 (1991).
- Alekseev O. Structure of the human epididymis. Scientific bulletin of the Uzhgorod University, Vol. 2, 30-33 (1996).
- Alekseev O., Golovatsky A. Intraepithelial lymphocytes in the human epididymis. Scientific bulletin of the Uzhgorod University, Vol. 4, 194-196 (1996).
- Alekseev O. Age peculiarities of the structure of the human epididymis. Scientific bulletin of the Uzhgorod University, Vol. 4, 191-194 (1997).
- Alekseev O. Structure of the epididymis in children. Scientific bulletin of the Uzhgorod University, Vol. 5, 11-13 (1998).
- Alekseev O. Epididymal hemomicrocirculatory bed in man. Likarska sprava, Vol. 6, 75-79 (1998).
- Alekseev O. Ultrastructural analysis of rat epididymis duct epithelium. Reports of Vinnitsa State Medical University, N 2, 289-290 (1999).
- Alekseev O. Blood supply of the human epididymis. Reports of Morphology, N 2, 150-151 (1999).
- Alekseev O. Fine structure of the rat epididymal contractile coat. Bukovinian Medical Herald, Vol. 3, N 4, 139-143 (1999).
- Alekseev O. Intersystemic arterial shunts in the region of the human epididymis. Urology, Vol. 4, N 1, 74-78 (2000).
- Alekseev O. Lymphatic bed of human epididymis. Likarska sprava, N 2, 53-56, (2000).
- Alekseev O. Changes in the rat epididymis after experimental obstruction of the vas deferens. Scientific bulletin of Uzhgorod University, medical series, N11, 3-6 (2000).
- Alekseev O. Changes in the epididymis of men with obstructive infertility. Bukovinian Medical Herald, Vol. 4, N 2, 16-21 (2000).