Dr. Sharon Eck Birmingham is honored to join Campbell University and brings over thirty years of nursing clinical and leadership experience to her faculty role. Sharon has served in roles as staff nurse, charge nurse Nurse Manager, Director, Chief Nursing Officer throughout her career in Academic Medical Centers. Her expertise and passion is in health care and programs for underserved women and children. Simultaneous to leadership positions, she has always served in adjunct faculty roles teaching and precepting masters and doctoral students. Most recently, she owned her private consulting firm, successfully completing large leadership, Magnet and nurse staffing resource projects across the U.S.
Sharon serves as an executive coach for the successful transition of one Chief Nursing Officer a year. Dr. Eck Birmingham is currently the Principle Investigator for a study, The National Nurse Scheduling and Fatigue Study (NNSS). She lives in Beaufort, North Carolina with her husband Andy and golden retriever Maile. They own Beaufort Furniture Company and Beaufort Home offering North Carolina made fine furniture and everything for your home made in the USA.
- DNSc, Yale University, School of Nursing
- MA Master's in Nursing, University of Iowa
- BSN, University of Iowa
Awards, Recognition & Honors
- Doctoral Dissertation on “The Effect of Nurse Staffing on Clinical, Organizational and Financial Outcomes.” This research won the Yale School of Nursing Anthony di Guida Dissertation Prize, 1999
- Member, American Nurses Association
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society
- Member, American Organization of Nurse Executives