Tonya Willingham joined Campbell as a full-time nursing instructor and course director in January 2016. After developing and directing 4 courses in the new program she transitioned to the assistant director position with the school of nursing. She continues to teach within the program and chairs the BSN curriculum committee. She is currently working on her EdD in Nursing Education from University of West Georgia.
Her nursing experience is in orthopedics, post-anesthesia care, and long-term care. Her teaching experience is focused on pre-licensure nursing education.
Her research interest is in nursing student success as well as clinical evaluation of nursing students. She also has interests in conceptual teaching, active and team-based learning in the classroom, and supporting student success for NCLEX-RN.
Tonya has also offered her nursing expertise to local nonprofits such as World Relief Durham and the Samaritan Health Clinic, and she is currently a member of Sigma Theta Tau, the National League of Nursing, and the InterVarsity Nurses Christian Fellowship.
- MSN, Queens University of Charlotte
- MA, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
- BSN, University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- Registered Nurse (1993-present)
- Certified Nurse Educator (2013-present)
- National League of Nursing LEAD Participant (2015)
Awards, Recognition & Honors
- Campbell University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Dean’s Award for Excellence in Teaching May, 2017
- Duke University Health System Friends of Nursing DCHC Board of Trustees Award for Excellence in Nursing Practice October, 2015
- North Carolina League for Nursing
- Sigma Theta Tau
- National League of Nursing
- InterVarsity Nurses Christian Fellowship
- Lewis, L. S., Milner, A. M. T., & Willingham, T. L. (2018). The Incidence of Student Repeaters in Pre-Licensure Nursing Programs in North Carolina. Teaching and Learning in Nursing, 13(4), 215-218.
- Willingham, T. (2017). Davis’s comprehensive review for the NCLEX-RN® examination. In K. A. Ohman & A. Hale (Eds.), Adult health: Musculoskeletal Management NCLEX Questions. Philadelphia, PA: FA Davis.
- Brown, P., Colo, L., and Willingham, T. (2008). Adult Health and Nursing Concepts and Skills: Genitourinary and Hematological Health Problems Modules, Version 4.0, Professional Development Software, Inc.