Victor M. Pulgar graduated in Biochemistry and received his PhD in Sciences from University of Chile in Santiago, Chile. After postdoctoral work in Chile and The Netherlands he moved to Wake Forest School of Medicine (WFSOM) in Winston-Salem, NC, as a Research Associate in 2003. In addition to his recent appointment as an Associate Professor of Pharmacology at Campbell University, Dr. Pulgar holds academic appointments as Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, faculty member of the Hypertension & Vascular Research Center, and Affiliate of the Maya Angelou Center for Health Equity at WFSOM. With varied interests Dr. Pulgar’s research focus on the local vascular mechanisms in animal models of cardiovascular diseases. Dr. Pulgar’s research investigates alterations in vascular contractility of peripheral arteries (i.e. mesenteric) as well as placental and uterine vessels from genetic rodent models of hypertension, IUGR, preeclampsia, and acute intermittent porphyria. Dr. Pulgar has provided instruction for undergraduate and graduate students as a mentor for the MARC Program (at WSSU), the Excellence in Cardiovascular Sciences Program and as Course Co-Director for IPP715-Techniques in Physiology (at WFSOM). Dr. Pulgar is actively involved in peer review for several journals, and is a member of the American Heart Association – Vasc Endo2 Peer Review Study Group.
- Posdoc, Academic Hospital Maastricht
- PhD, Cellular and Molecular Biology & Neurosciences, University of Chile
- BS, Biochemistry, University of Chile
Awards, Recognition & Honors
- Gordon Research Conference Carl Storm Underrepresented Minority Fellowship, 2016
- Member of AHA IRG Vascular Sciences BSc 2 Peer Review Study Group, 2015-present
- Member of American Heart Association (AHA) Vasc Endo2 Peer Review Study Group, 2014-present
- FASEB/MARC Travel Award, Grantsmanship Training Program, Bethesda, MD, 2008
- USCIS, Outstanding Professor/Researcher Sec. 203(b)(1)(B), (EB-1), 2007
- Young Investigators Travel Award, Perinatal Research Society Meeting, Banff, Canada, 2004
- Postdoctoral Fellowship The Wellcome Trust Foundation, 2000
- Doctoral Fellowship CONICYT, Chile, 1997
- American Heart Association (AHA) - High Blood Pressure Research Council 2011-present
- American Physiological Society (APS) 2010-present: Cardiovascular Section, Teaching Section, Sex/Gender Research Interest Group, Hypoxia Group
- Society for Gynecologic Investigation (SGI), In-Training Member 2006-2008
- Fetal and Neonatal Physiological Society (FNPS) 2002-2005
- Farias JG, Zepeda A, Castillo R, Figueroa E, Ademoyero OT, Pulgar VM*. Chronic hypobaric hypoxia diminishes the expression of base excision repair OGG1 enzymes in spermatozoa. Andrologia. Accepted 6-4-17. *corresponding author.
- Su Y, Bi J, Pulgar VM*, Chappell MC, Rose JC. Antenatal betamethasone attenuates the angiotensin-(1-7)/Mas receptor/nitric oxide axis in adult male but not female renal proximal tubule cells. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2017 312(6):F1056-F1062 doi: 10.1152/ajprenal.00593.2016. PMID: 28228403 *corresponding author.
- Aldana M, Maturana D, García-Huidobro R, Pulgar VM, Pulgar J. Earlier onset and increased rate of gonadal development of four coastal herbivores from an upwelling condition in central Chile. Bull Mar Sci. 2017 93(3):000 https://doi.org/10.5343/bms.2016.1063.
- Pulgar J, Waldisperg M, Galbán-Malagón C, Maturana D, Pulgar VM, Aldana M. UV radiation impacts body weight, oxygen consumption, and shelter selection in the intertidal vertebrate Girella laevifrons. Sci Total Environ. 2017 578:317-322 doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.10.157. PMID: 27836350
- Brosnihan KB, Pulgar VM, Bharadwaj MS, Neves LAA, Yamaleyeva LM. Local intra-uterine Ang-(1-7) infusion attenuates PGE2 and 6-keto PGF1α but not TxB2 in the decidualized uterus of pseudopregnant rats. Rep Biol Endocrinol 2016 14:68 doi: 10.1186/s12958-016-0202-9 PMID: 27756404 PMCID: PMC507015
- Pulgar VM*, Yamaleyeva LM, Varagic J, McGee CM, Bader M, Dechend R, Brosnihan KB. Functional changes in the uterine artery precede the hypertensive phenotype in a transgenic model of hypertensive pregnancy. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 309:E811-E817, 2015. doi: 10.1152/ajpendo.00526.2014. PMID: 26394667 *corresponding author
- Yamaleyeva LM, Pulgar VM, Lindsey SH, Yamane L, Varagic J, McGee CM, da Silva M, Bonfa P, Brosnihan KB. Uterine artery dysfunction in ACE2 deficient mice is associated with placental hypoxia and reduced umbilical flow. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2015 309(1):E84-E94 doi: 10.1152/ajpendo.00596.2014. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25968580
- Su Y, Bi J, Pulgar VM*, Figueroa J, Chappell M, Rose JC. Antenatal glucocorticoid treatment alters sodium uptake in renal proximal tubule cells from adult offspring in a sex specific manner. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2015 308:F1268-F1275 doi: 10.1152/ajprenal.00047.2015. PMID: 25834069 *corresponding author
- Pulgar VM*. Direct current stimulation to increase cerebrovascular function. Front Syst Neurosci 2015 9:54. doi: 10.3389/fnsys.2015.00054. PMID: 25870543 PMCID: PMC4378276 *corresponding author
- Brosnihan KB, Pulgar VM, Gallagher PE, Neves LAA, Yamaleyeva LM. Local uterine Ang-(1-7) infusion augments the expression of cannabinoid receptors and differentially alters endocannabinoid metabolizing enzymes in the decidualized uterus of pseudopregnant rats. Rep Biol Endocrinol 2015 Jan 17;13(1):5. doi:10.1186/1477-7827-13-5 PMID: 25596750 PMCID: PMC4325957
- García-Huidobro RM, Pulgar J, Benítez S, Pulgar VM, Aldana M. Impact of predators and resource abundance on the physiological traits of Fissurella crassa (Archeogastropoda). Hidrobiológica 2015 25(2):14-22.
- Pulgar J, Lagos P, Maturana D, Valdés M, Aldana M, Pulgar VM. Effect of UV radiation on habitat selection by Girella laevifrons and Graus nigra (Kyphosidae). J Fish Biol. 2015 Jan 4. doi: 10.1111/jfb.12566. PMID: 25557650
- Pulgar VM*, Yamaleyeva LM, Varagic J, McGee CM, Bader M, Dechend R, Howlett AC, Brosnihan KB. Increased ANG II contraction of the uterine artery at early gestation in a transgenic model of hypertensive pregnancy is reduced by inhibition of endocannabinoid hydrolysis. Hypertension. 2014 64(3):619-625. PMID: 24935942 PMCID: PMC4134408 *corresponding author
- Pulgar VM* & Keith Harp J. Vascular effects of diphenylmethoxypiperidine-derived dopamine uptake inhibitors. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2014 24:2429-2432. PMID: 24792462 PMCID: PMC4056188 *corresponding author
- Molina P, Ojeda JP, Aldana M, Pulgar VM, Garcia-Huidobro RM, Pulgar J. Spatial and temporal variability in subtidal macroinvertebrates diversity patterns in a management and exploitation area for benthic resources (MEABRs). Ocean Coast Manag. 2014 93:121-128.